North Karnataka has monuments that date back to the 5th century. Kannada empires that ruled the Deccan had their capitals here. Hampiin Bellary District has ruins spread over an area of 125 km². Hampi site of the capital of Vijayanagara (1336) and formerly the seat of the Vijayanagara Empire. Foreign visitors in the 15th and 16th centuries described Hampi as being bigger than Rome. The city was destroyed and deserted in 1565 by marauding Moghul invaders and its ruins now lie scattered over a 26 sq. km area south of the river Tungabhadra. The rocky area near Anegundi of the north of the river has been identified as Kishkinda of Ramayana time. Hampi is home to a 29-foot-tall (8.8 m) monolithic Narasimha, which was installed by Krishnadevaraya in 1529. The remains of palaces and gateways can be seen.